Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: When It Happens

Title: When It Happens
Author: Susane Colasanti

Publisher:  Viking Juvenile
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Realistic Fiction / Romance
Release date: May 4th, 2006
Pages:  310 (Hardcover)
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Bought









Goodreads Summary:
Sara and Tobey couldn't be more different. She is focused on getting into her first-choice college; he wants to win Battle of the Bands. Sara's other goal is to find true love, so when Dave, a popular jock, asks her out, she's thrilled. But then there's Tobey. His amazing blue eyes and quirky wit always creep into her thoughts. It just so happens that one of Tobey's goals is also to make Sara fall in love with him. Told in alternating points of view, Sara and Tobey's real connection will have everyone rooting for them from the minute they meet!

My Thoughts:
I bought this book on a whim; especially when the cover drew me in.  The summary didn't sound too extraordinary, and when I first cracked it open and read a few teaser sentences, I started to regret my decision to get this.  By the end, the entire story just filled me with joy.  Don't worry, though-- it didn't take me that long to get sucked in.  That happened almost instantly.  

Who else loves when a story jumps from one perspective to another?  I know I do.  First you read about Sara's life.  Sara is intelligent, artistic, and not considered to be a part of the popular crowd (although she's been eyeing Dave since last year).  Dave is the guy that everyone wants- popular, handsome, outgoing.  When Dave asks her out, her entire world is turned upside down.  She becomes popular by association...but is Dave really what she wanted out of a boyfriend?  

Then you're introduced to Tobey.  He's the slacker you see in the back of class.  The rocker with dark hair and violet colored eyes.  He's been lusting for Sara for quite some time and can barely take it anymore.  That's why he and his band mates come up with a plan to get her to notice him.  Although she's taken by a total jerk, Tobey thinks that she may be "the one".  

If you couldn't have guessed by now, (SPOILER!!!) Sara falls for Tobey's charm.  They feel a connection instantly.  Both of them even dunk their onion rings in mustard.  Wow, that's love.  It turns out that Tobey is everything that Dave wasn't (in the best ways possible).  Wait...What happens with Dave?  Does Tobey's band win the Battle of the Bands?  What paths are the characters headed down after high school ends?  Well, my friend, you'll just have to read the book to find out.  Sure, it was a little cheesy and predictable at times...but I love cheese!  Well...if it's the right kind at least.  And trust me, this was definitely the right kind.  Honestly, if you're a fan of those classic teen 80's movies (John Hughes, especially) you'll love this book.

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm totally going to watch Say Anything... now.  (Tobey totally pulls a Lloyd boombox move...*siiiiigh* How romantic.  <3)

2 comments:

  1. I have this book but haven't read it yet, though I'm planning on picking it up very soon to contrast all of the scary books I've been reading for October. I haven't read any Susane Colasanti before, so I'm glad to hear that you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! The girl got kind of annoying towards the end, but Tobey more than made up for it!

    ReplyDelete