Monday, November 16, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015: The Beginning


I've done the unthinkable.  This year was going to be like any other year.  I was just going to sit back, relax, and focus on a few important life things while other aspiring writers participate in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month.  I've tried it once, in 2011, but I only ever got a quarter of the way toward the goal of 50,000 words.  Since then, I never thought that NaNoWriMo was for me.  I hate feeling rushed when writing, and for me, it takes a lot of the passion away from what would otherwise be an enjoyable experience.

After a rough couple of days, I began watching NaNoWriMo vlogs on YouTube and checking out updates on some of my favorite blogs.  Some of you have even finished within the first two weeks of November!  Writing has always been my #1 escape, and suddenly, I was feeling inspired to start writing 11 days into the month.  I still haven't gotten very far because there's been a lot of procrastination (I've been rewatching The Office) but I know exactly what story I want to tell.  It's something I've had on my mind for a majority of this year.  I know it's not likely that I'll hit 50k in 14 days, especially with Thanksgiving coming, but I'm glad to have the motivation to get a good chunk of it written down.


What is the story about, you ask?  
Without going into too much detail, my story is a contemporary romance that is heavily based on the phrase "it's not you, it's me".  My main character is trying to get over her first major heartbreak by meeting new people who aren't quite who they say they are.  This leads to awkward first dates, betrayal, and situations you wouldn't believe, but most importantly, she finds more confidence in herself to be the person she wants to be, not the person that everyone else is looking for.

If you're interested and want to be my buddy, here's the link to my profile-

Also, if you're participating, I'd love to hear about the story you're writing!

1 comment: